26th of April marks Stop Food Waste Day – Celtic Collection shares tips to stop food waste, now

The 26th of April marks Stop Food Waste Day, which aims to raise awareness on the impact that food waste is having on the planet.

According to a study by Business Waste, it is estimated that 60 per cent of food waste is generated by UK households, with the other 40 per cent attributed to businesses and the hospitality industry. And globally, approximately 33 per cent of all food produced is lost or waste every single year.

In recognition of Stop Food Waste Day, Fitzroy Hutchinson, Energy and Sustainability Manager at ICC Wales and The Celtic Collection, gives his advice on how #eventprofs can reduce their food waste.


Giving back to the local community

Whilst it is crucial to support local suppliers it is also important to give back to the local area and to the environment. Across The Celtic Collection and ICC Wales, we collect all of the food waste and transport it to a local waste management facility, which generates it into renewable electricity for the South Wales Grid and for our venues. In addition to this, all of our oil waste is converted to biodiesel, which can be used to power vehicles and machinery.


Eat in season and local produce

In Wales, we are fortunate enough to have a rich natural larder, in fact Welsh lamb and beef rank alongside some of the world’s finest meats. Because of the country’s landscape we are blessed with incredible produce from our coastline, fields and valleys. While indulging in local delicacies it is also an opportunity to cut down on food waste.

Across The Celtic Collection, we utilise local suppliers in our restaurants and bars. For example, at The Parkgate Hotel you can try Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky, Cured Salmon in the Sorting Room restaurant and at The Celtic Manor Resort you can indulge in some of the finest cuts of Welsh beef in Steak on Six.

I would encourage event organisers to work with their venue to curate a menu that utilises produce that is in season and sourced as locally as possible. If more organisers and venues collaborated, it would likely contribute to less local food waste.


Research your venues

If you are keen to make your event greener, spend some time researching your prospective venues and reviewing their sustainability operations and policies. Many venues will have all of this information, plus their green credentials, available on their website but, if you can’t find what you are looking for or you are unsure of something, strike up a conversation with them.

It is important that if you are pledging to have a sustainable event that your venue reflects and aligns to your values. In my role, I am happy to sit down with clients to discuss what a sustainable event looks like to them and how we can help to deliver their goals. At The Celtic Collection, we proudly display our green credentials on our website and are happy to discuss how we manage our waste across the portfolio.


For further information on The Celtic Collection visit – www.celtic-collection.com